Jordan Love has claimed the Jim Richards Endurance Trophy victory this afternoon at Queensland Raceway becoming the first driver to clean sweep every endurance race victory.
Love saw the checkered flag first taking his third consecutive JR Endurance Trophy win.
The race wasn’t all headlined by Love though, Grove Racing’s Brenton Grove executed perfect start from the outside of the front row and lead as the field hurtled into the first few corners.
The 40-lap race was neutralised when Brett Boulton locked his rear brakes on the opening lap, spinning into the gravel down at turn three and swipping the concrete wall in the process. Boulton’s car incurred race ending damage and caused a lengthy safety car period as the marshals recovered it out of the gravel.
When the race did go back to green eight laps later, Love pounced on race leader Grove making a lunge up the inside at turn six on lap ten, the West-Australian was not troubled again for the rest of the race.
The safety car made it’s second and final appearance with four laps remaining when Shane Barwood and Rob Woods beached themselves in the gravel at turn three squabbling over eighth position.
The race would not be restarted and finished under the safety car as such; Love, Grove, Anthony Gilbertson, John Karytinos, and Sam Shahin rounding out top five.
The race win means that Love extends his championship lead to 70 points in the outright standings.
“I’m thrilled to secure the Jim Richards Endurance Trophy, which was certainly my key focus heading into today,” said Love. “We had a great race, though it didn’t come easily; the weather was fairly hot and I wasn’t wearing a cool suit so it proved testing throughout the race, so I am stoked with the outcome.”
Woods and Boulton were the only two non-finishers for the race.
The final two races from Queensland Raceway are set for tomorrow, both can viewed via the Shannons Nationals Live Stream at www.thenationals.com.au.
Sunday August 06, 2017
10:00am Race 2 (12 laps)
12:45pm Race 3 (12 laps)
Results: Race 1
1. #79 Jordan Love (Professional Class) Sonic Motor Racing/Quintis
2. #23 Brenton Grove (Professional Class) Grove Hire
3. #19 Anthony Gilbertson (Elite Class) Hallmark Homes
4. #16 John Karytinos (Elite Class) Richmonds Automotive
5. #13 Sam Shahin (Elite Class) HTFU
6. #34 John Morriss (Elite Class) Motorsport Leasing P/L
7. #99 Ross McGregor (Elite Class) Southern Star Windows
8. #11 Brendan Cook (Class B) Cairns Steel Fabrication
9. #87 David Greig (Class B)
10. #9 Tony Martin (Elite Class) The Triffid Bar + Venue
11. #88 Phil Morriss (Elite Class) Morriss Racing Services
12. #21 Shane Barwood (Elite Class) Melbourne Orthopaedic Group
DNF #29 Rob Woods (Elite Class) Platinum Nightclub
DNF #84 Brett Boulton (Elite Class) Bold Living